The Daily Rhythm
The daily rhythm of the Academy, based on the rhythm of most monastic communities, is characterized by time for study, silence, worship, prayer, and community.
Undergirding of the rhythm is worship as we begin each day with morning prayer, worship with eucharist at evening prayer, and close each day with night prayer. We keep the Great Silence from the last word of Night Prayer to the first word of Morning Prayer so last work we speak each day is in prayer to God and the first word of each day is prayer.
Each day our two faculty presenters lead an hour long presentation, one presenter in the morning and the other in the afternoon, followed by silence for individual reflection. Each time of silence is followed by a large group gathering where Academy participants may share insights, ask questions, and engage with the presenters.
Evening covenant groups offer a structured time for reflecting on one’s spiritual experience during the academy and life outside the academy.
- 7:30-8:00 Morning Prayer
- 8:00-9:00 Breakfast
- 9:00-10:00 Morning Presentation
- 10:00-11:00 Silence for prayer and reflection
- 11:00-11:30 Group discussion with morning presenter
- 12:00-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30-2:30 Free time
- 2:30-3:30 Afternoon Presentation
- 3:30-4:30 Silence for reflection and prayer
- 4:30-5:00 Group discussion with afternoon presenter
- 5:15-6:00 Evening Prayer with Eucharist
- 6:00-7:00 Dinner
- 7:30-9:00 Covenant Groups
- 9:30 Night Prayer
- The Great Silence until Morning Prayer